Every Student Who wants to go abroad for Studies should have concern about IELTS. What is IELTS? International English Languages Testing System (IELTS) is very popular English language proficiency test for study. It was founded by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English in 1989. Only British, Australian, Canadian and European institutes accept IELTS. Students’ ability to understand English Language is assessed through grade system from 1 to 9 in this proficiency test.
IELTS helps you to learn and speak English language or migrate to country where English is a native language. These countries are America, Australia, UK, New Zealand and Canada. More than 10,000 organizations show their trust on this language test.
Your ability to listen, read, write and speak in English language will be assessed during this test. Students seeking UK Scholarships also have to take this International English Language Proficiency Test.
How To Register For IELTS
- In first step, you will visit British Council’s official registration page. Create an account with British Council.
- In 2nd step, search your nearest test center. Register for the IELTS test and pay online.
- When you will visit test center for registration, the staff will check your valid identification documents like national identity card and passport you use when you confirmed your test.
- All those students, who have valid passport and their age is at least 16 years, can apply for it. All students will eligible for this test if they are planning to study in UK, Australia, America and New Zealand.
Always apply in the end of December, April and August because you will know 99 percent topics and you will have enough time to prepare all of these topics.
It consists of four parts like speaking, writing, listening and reading. In listening and speaking section all the syllabus and tests will be same. However, you might face some differences in the Reading and writing modules.
Universities’ Requirement For IELTS Score
1: United Kingdom
- University of Oxford – 6.5 score
- University of Cambridge – 6.5 score
- Imperial College London – 6.5 score
- University of Oslo – 6.0 score
- University of Bergen – 6.5 score
- UIT The Arctic University of Norway – 6.5 score
- University of Helsinki – 6.5 score
- Aalto University – 6.5 score
- University of Oulu – 6.5 score
- University of Paris – 6.5 score
- Ecole Polytechnique – 6.5 score
- Telecom Paris – 5.5 score
- LMU Munich – 6.5 score
- Technical University of Munich – 6.5 score
- Heidelberg University – 6.5 score
- Wageningen University and Research – 6.5 score
- Leiden University – 6.5 score
- Erasmus University Rotterdam – 6.5 score
- Pompeu Fabra University – 6.5 score
- Autonomous University of Barcelona – 6.5 score
- University of Navarra – 6.5 score
- University of Tartu – 6.5 score
- Tallinn University – 6.5 score
- Tallinn University of Technology – 6.5 score.
- 9: United States of America
- Saginaw Valley State University – 4.0 score
- Santa Ana College – 4.5 score
- Beller bys College – 4.5 score
- Istituto Marangoni, London – 4.5 score
University of Toronto – 6.5 score
McGill University – 6.5 score
University of British Columbia – 6.5 score.
Easy Or Tough
Although all parts and sections are not very tough in IELTS but you may face some problems in writing section. Because writing is most difficult part and module of any exam. It may be in major English proficiency tests like IELTS or in school tests.
Minimum & Maximum Score
There is no ratio or merit to pass the test. Each university and institute sets different criteria for IELTS. There is also a “band 0 “score for those who did not attempt the test.
In IELTS, maximum score is 9 and minimum score is 1. Each score is a reflection of different levels of English users.
How Much Study For IELTS
All those students who have applied for IELTS, the first step and the most important thing is preparation of every section. Make some practice regularly of each section and try different kinds of questions. Through this method, you will get good grip over the essentials of the test.
As usual, there are always some books and model papers that are available for different sections and questions. These books are helpful for those candidates who choose self study over external coaching.
- IELTS Tutor Kit
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS 1
- The Cambridge IELTS Course Workbook
- Step Up to IELTS Personal Study Book with Answers and Audio CD
- Cambridge Grammar for IELTS Student’s book with Answers and Audio CD.
On the official website of IELTS, the candidates can take IELTS mock tests and practice sample questions. This practice will be helpful to get a good grip on the pattern of test and it is also beneficial for the self-confidence too.
Types of IELTS
There are 3 major types of IELTS; Academic, General Training and Life Skills.
This type of IELTS is intended for students who want to study abroad for higher education. You will need an academic test band score for admission in undergraduate or graduate degree. If you are going to take admission in Engineering, Law, Medical & Nursing then you will have to pass it.
If you want to migrate in English speaking countries and work there then general training is best choice for you. Many countries Australia, Canada, USA, New Zealand and UK ask for IELTS score. These countries accept the general training certificate as evidence of language competences on the part of immigration and study visa.
Life Skills is intended for those people who want to migrate to UK and intend to secure citizenship. Unlike other 2 tests, the Life Skills Test checks only your speaking and listening skills on the levels of A1 and B1. The purpose of this type is that how well you communicate with other people in everyday English. You will have to pass Life Skills IELTS A1, if you will apply for UK visas, spouses and life partner visa. If you want to obtain citizenship or residence in UK then you will pass B1 Life Skills IELTS.